de Havilland DH98 Mosquito B.Mk.35
First flown in 1945, the B.Mk.35 was the last bomber version of the Mosquito, appearing just too late to see service in WW2. It had two-stage supercharged engines for improved performance at altitude, but was otherwise similar to the B.Mk.XVI, used by the RAF’s Light Night Striking Force. It retained the B.Mk.XVI’s pressure cabin, the ‘universal wing’ having fittings for underwing stores, and a bulged and faired bomb-bay for a 4,000 lb High Capacity (HC) ‘Cookie’ blast bomb. Like the B.Mk.XVI, with 60 Imperial gallon drop-tanks it could carry such a weapon to bomb Berlin and return. Apart from the bulged bomb-bay, visible differences for the B.Mk.35 compared with the prototype Mosquito include:
- a new canopy with a pointed windscreen,
- side bulges for improved rearward view,
- a top ‘astrodome’ blister for taking sextant readings,
- wing underside landing lights which flip down for landing,
- red, green and amber identification ‘traffic lights’ under the rear fuselage.
The dorsal hatch behind the canopy now houses radio equipment plus a dinghy in a box, activated by an immersion switch on ditching. Engine changes include a new air intake (just below the spinner) for the supercharger intercooler, and louvred exit ports for the intercooler air further aft. A total of 122 B.Mk.35s were built by Airspeed.
Power Unit: Two 1,690 hp Rolls Royce Merlin 113/114
Wing Span: 54 ft 2 in (16.51 m)
All-up Weight (A.U.W): 23,000 lb (10,433 kg)
Max Speed: 415 mph (668 kph)
Ceiling: 42,000 ft (12,802 m)
Range: 1,995 miles (3,211 km)
On display at the Museum:
The Museum’s exhibit flew in 1945 as a B.Mk.35 TA634 and was one of the last Mosquitos built at Hatfield powered by a pair of Merlin 114s .This aircraft was later adapted for target-towing as a B (TT) Mk. 35.In November 1953 it entered service with CAACU moving to the HQ 2nd TAF in March 1956.Its final service duty was with 3CAACU at Exeter in September 1959 and upon its retirement it was flown to Speke Airport on the 6th November 1963 for the Liverpool Corporation to preserve in a new Terminal Complex.
The project did not happen and the aircraft became one of the Mosquitos that flew in the film “Mosquito Squadron” which took place at Bovingdon Airfield, Hertfordshire during June and July 1968.
It was last flown on 16th July when it was flown back to Liverpool by the late Neil Williams and on the 15th May 1971 it was officially handed over to the Museum at Salisbury Hall.
Inside the cockpit of DH98 Mosquito B35 at The de Havilland Museum, London Colney, UK. #deHavilland #Mosquito #restoration #museum #theta360 – Spherical Image – RICOH THETA